Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Notes from Cottage Hill Farm

February 2005...continues

Looking out the sliding glass doors early this morning. For some reason, the Harveys' have moved the cows from their pasture to the adjacent farm next to ours. I think safety in numbers. We have had problems with the coytoes, lately. They scare the cows and they "stampede". Well, "stampede" is kinda a strong term. A power walk is more like it.

I decide to go to the lower embankment barn this morning to see what I can find. A scavenger hunt! Dressed in several layers, I make my way. Its' quiet. The wind is hollowing, but tired of being stuck in the house I decide to go anyway. The old barn door is about fifteen feet high and complains loudly when I swing him open. (Apparently he was sleeping). I am startled and surprised, when a flock of pigeons immediately "poop" on my head. I guess I bothered them as well. Old hay covers the main room of the barn, along with, what looks like quite of bit of animal droppings. It is kind of magical in here. A little bit of dust is kicked up as I poke around looking for "relics". Two large hay racks, a wagon wheel and old bridle lie on the floor. I don't see anything I can drag back on my own.

I decide to sit on the an old beam and just sit and take it all in. Laying my head back with my arms across my chest, I quickly fall asleep. (These early country mornings are killing me!) A hint of a cold breeze passes across my cheek and reminds me it might be better if I nap back at the house. With my eyes still closed, I hear a soft shuffling sound. My heart picks up its' rythm while I sit VERY still. slowly opening my eyes (slowley? why? I have no idea). I see a coyote poking its' nose around my feet. Oh, dear God. I am not meant to handle these encounters. I guess she didn't know I was alive and breathing and I am sure I am going to be attacked. (Poor cows.I feel their pain.) "She" then lifts her leg and pees all over my leg and then just trots off squeezing under the end of the barn.

I sat for awhile, making sure "he" was no longer skulking around. I start to climb back up the embankment toward the farmhouse. For some reason this is a little for difficult. Up to my knees in snow it took me 30 minutes going up, which orginally took 5 minutes going down. Oh well. I have survived. I am not bitten. quite smelly, however.What did that coyote eat? Compost?

I'm back in the house. Stripping off my clothes in the mud room I run to a hot shower. Wrapped in a warm fluffy bathrobe and my hair in a towel, I lay my head back and cross my arms across my chest. Safely, asleep.....

No comments:

Post a Comment